Monday, November 3, 2014

Finally Getting Settled!

Happy Fall!

Saturday marked the official 2 month anniversary of my move to Austin. I have only positive things to say about this city, probably swayed by the fact that being negative is very difficult when it's sunny and warm everyday!

As made obvious by my move down here, I am a big fan of trying new things. In honor of that, I attended the Austin Comic Book Convention a couple of weeks ago. Seeing that I'm not really the biggest comic book fan, I did not think I'd would have as much fun as I did. I got to take some pretty cool pictures with people dressed up as characters. Plus, there were some interesting panel topics about the upcoming comic book films and how the resurgence of the topic has played a role in big-budget films over the past 10 years. Another topic focused in the television revivals of many comic book characters and how the two major companies were succeeding in television versus film. Having the film and television interested that I have, it was a very cool event to be a part of.


I also got to sit in on a Q&A with actor Sean Astin (Rudy, Lord of the Rings, Goonies) which was the coolest things I've done in Austin so far. He is one of my favorite actors and has been in many movies that aren't as well known as the ones I listed above. Definitely the highlight of the convention for me. 













That same weekend I signed up to work at Austin City Limits. Many people know ACL as the PBS televised version, but every year they also have an enormous festival here. For 3 days, 2 weekends in a row there are tons of performers playing at a bunch of different stages in one of the city parks. I signed up to work and all-day shift and got to see (from somewhat of a distance) Fitz and the Tantrums and Childish Gambino. Unfortunately, I missed out of Pearl Jam which would have been very exciting. For the 3 day pass, tickets are around $250, but since I was working I got paid to be there! As fun as it was, I was very happy that it was over after the 2nd weekend because the thousands of people that had made traffic worse by flooding into the city finally left.




The next exciting thing that happened was that I finally got my own car! I sold my 2000 Alero before I left Albany, knowing that it wouldn't make the 1800 mile trip. For the first 6 weeks living here, I was borrowing Sam's car when I needed it. On October 18th, I finally bought my shiny 04 Saturn Ion new-to-me car. Of course, the first thing I did was to put a little stamp from home on it!

I have been able to see so much more of the city since I got it. Public transportation isn't the best here because the traffic is as bad as a much larger city's traffic. In fact, there's a very big vote on a new rail proposition tomorrow that has been one of the most controversial in the city. 






I'll share just a bit about Halloween- mostly because the costume a couple of friends of mine and I did was so hilarious. I met these girls at the Bills Backers Bar in September and they invited me to join in on Halloween for their "French Kiss" costume. Hilarious!!!
Embedded image permalink
All in all, things are going great! Work is good, still a temp but hoping for something more permanent soon. Possibly some visiting family members next weekend. If I ever get lonely, I can always just watch the Bills! I also found a new Brueggers location here, which is an upstate NY bagel place. It was the perfect breakfast for me after Halloween!

I promise to keep updating everyone as soon as I can. 
Hope all is well wherever you are!


No comments:

Post a Comment