Monday, September 29, 2014

Month #1- COMPLETE

Hello Hello Everyone!

It has been a while since my last update. To be honest, things weren't exactly moving quickly for a while there. I was without a job until last week and I didn't really think y’all wanted to read about me sitting on the couch binge watching TV series.

Anyway, the immersion has officially begun. Last week I started working at the Austin Housing Authority. It’s a temporary position right now, but they are interested in making me full time as soon as they can (which doesn't really seem like anytime soon). Officially I’m the assistant to the VP of Housing and Community Development, which sounds very exciting. The work isn't very challenging, but it can be very interesting because I haven’t worked in this field before so I am actually learning a ton.
I have been going on adventures related to food, of course. Last week, hungry and tired, I went searching for something new to eat. The coolest thing I've found to do in Austin is just keep driving until you find something new to eat/do/take pictures of. Last Wednesday, this routine resulted in some very good Jamaican food served from a food truck by a woman named Gemma Love. I was very impressed by the food, and by the fact that she had a TV in the truck and was watching the food network while cooking us jerk chicken and curried goat. Here’s a picture of her fabulous establishment.


I also tried my first food truck taco, which was delightful and once I finished it I wished for about 5 more. Here’s that:














Yesterday, I decided it was time to venture out and watch some Buffalo Bills football. As you all know, they lost but I won as I met some very cool western New Yorkers who were nice enough to befriend me.

Here’s what the Bills Backers bar looks like- take into account its apparently usually packed but most fans actually went to the game since it was only a couple of hours away. 



That's about it for now, I'll keep you all updated!

No comments:

Post a Comment